+506 2268-4041


132 Birds   23 Animals    See our species list.

Please take a moment to look through our photo’s and read the stories of how some of our rescued birds and animals found their way to the Toucan Rescue Ranch.
Jump to Bird Stories
Jump to Owl Stories
Jump to Sloth Stories
Jump to Stories about Other Animals


Lorita is a 45 year old Mealy Amazon that was donated to Minae (Costa Rican Fish and Wildlife) because she was so noisy. That fact is true! She loves to sing and scream.

LoritaAShe came in a horrible small cage with metal perches and had no feathers on her chest and her feet were completely black from the metal perch. I asked about her history and she had spent 15 years with one lady in the same cage and another 15 years with the current owner who finally donated her. She never left the cage that is about 15 inches in diameter. We changed her diet to include fruit, and vegetables, pellets and bought her a new large cage and gave her tons of baths. Within months her feathers came back and she started to look really good. The problem with Lorita was that she was completely cage bound. She would not come out of the cage at all.

LoritaBAfter a year of opening the door and encouraging her and finally toweling her and putting her out she managed to come out and explore her new world. She now cannot wait to come out and sit on top of her cage and flap her wings and even take grand rain baths. She had to learn to move and stretch and play with toys as well.

See Lorita taking a great rain bath on YouTube



RainbowARainbow, a young scarlet macaw, was dropped off here with “a bad foot.” She had been flying around a community and some good folks managed to catch her and turn her into Minae, who asked us to care for her. The foot was completely floating around, unable to be used at all. It looked really serious, so we took her over to the experts at the National University School of Veterinary Medicine. After waiting all day to be seen, they took x-rays and her femur, which was completely broken, so they operated and put in a pin. She had the pin in for a month. The vet was nervous and said she was very skinny and not in the best of shape to have such an intense surgery, but there was no other choice. The leg had been broken for several days.

We came home and waited all day for them to call with news. They were nervous, we were nervous, and they did not call. That afternoon we were talking about her and this beautiful rainbow appeared on the mountains behind our house, so Jorge named her Rainbow. I finally received a call at 7:30 p.m. that night, the surgery had gone well and she was awake and ready to come home, so Leslie loaded Magic, our huge Doberman in the car and drove down to the school, and picked up Rainbow.

When Leslie got home, our good friends Carol and Daniel were here to help. They had a great dinner waiting. It was so nice, and by then we were all tired and the homemade pizza dinner was great!



Two little ones hatched, here is the father feeding one of them.  This is a huge boost to our program, everything we are learning about breeding, the nest logs, diets, duration of babies in the nest etc.  We are applying to the larger toucans to hopefully be successful in breeding the Keel billed toucans for eventual release.


SarapiquiASarapiqui, our beautiful spectacled-owl arrived from Minae with a severely broken wing and a head injury from being hit by a truck on a busy highway, the Braulio Carrillo that cuts through the rain forest. She had a collapsed wing, and was completely unresponsive for several days upon her arrival.

SarapiquiBAfter consulting with great friends in the states who take care of owls, and the local vets here we devised a treatment plan and she has been slowly recovering. Her wing is fractured in two different places and the possibility for release at this point is slim, however she has regained her strength. We battled a bone infection among other traumas.

Fortunately she and Leslie get along great and she actually lets Leslie care for her and is calm around her, so this makes life for us both much more pleasant. It’s an honor to be in her presence. However large owls weigh around two lbs. (she weighs 950 grams) and eat large rodents, so we buy white rats for her, which she enjoys. Costs for Sarapiqui’s maintenance is about $2.00 per day, so contributions to the Owl Fund are greatly appreciated.

AthenaAAthena, our striped owl, was a large ball of fluff when she came in to our program. A group of boys who rescued her from their neighborhood dogs. Striped owls nest on the ground, or close to the ground, so she might of just wondered away from the nest and found herself in a mess. Leslie hand fed her for a couple of months and she is very tame and interested in her surroundings. She unfortunately was not able to learn to hunt since she has been in captivity from a young age.

AthenaBA couple of months ago we were having horrible hurricane winds and the roof of her enclosure whet flying off into the bushes, she startled and flew away. For an entire week we put food out every night, we’d call her and she did not appear. Then on the eighth day at 2 a.m., Leslie heard the chickens making a noise and told Jorge to go check on them…and he came over to our bedroom window and said “Les, you better get up and come out here, there is a large owl sleeping with the chickens!” Of course it was Athena: she had found her way home and entered the only cage that was open! We were glad to see each other and she is happy to be home. Now, Athena has had owlets of her own. Follow the story on our Facebook page.


We have successfully released the baby Striped owlets that were born here, and they have come back to visit, so that is really fun to be out at night and hear them calling!


Millie aMillieBnd Milo Hoffman’s Two Toed Sloths
arrived late one afternoon two years ago as a tiny one-week old baby. Her mother had died, she was found by park rangers. When they dropped her of,f it was with a special warning, “don’t get too attached to her since she will probably die.” Well, that made us very nervous. Then talking with others, they had the same warning, “sloths are very hard to take care of, she will probably die.” Well, one thing lead to MillieDanother and we found a great sloth vet who comes to visit. We set up a very intricate plan for Millie and two years later, and many, many sleepless nights (they‘re nocturnal) I’m happy to report that Millie is doing great. Short for Milagro, Miracle, Millie is now the subject of a book we’ve published; Millie, the two-toed sloth: A Costa Rican rescue adventure. Millie has a huge fan base and is popular on YouTube as well, just look up Millie the Sloth and you can see a few videos of her.

MillieCOne year later, along came Milo. With Milo, we were now better prepared, and it was a good thing we were! Milo came to us extremely ill, his mother passed away at the vets office from complicated ailments, which she had passed on to a starving, dehydrated baby. After several days in intensive care at the vet and intensive 24-hour care here, I am glad to say baby Milo is thriving. Just take a look at his arrival photo and his portrait now. You can see Milo eating leaves on Youtube.

Millie and Milo will be permanent residents here, and are not candidates for release since they came into our program so young. Consider adopting one or both of our beautiful sloths to assist with vet care, and the tons of veggies these two eat!

Millie is 6 years old!!

Meet Cooper!  Tiny three toed sloth that came into The Toucan Rescue Ranch in August!  My mother and niece were waiting for me at the airport while I was receiving and caring for Cooper!  He had lots of babysitters his first few days, which was  a good thing, he needed the warmth and care.


Stella came in recently from a road stop during Easter break.  The wildlife dept. sets up road blocks to inspect cars for contraband, and they found little Stella poached away from her mother in the trunk of this man’s car.  Totally against the law to take wild animals from the forest.
For Stella it was a huge painful ordeal…when they took her out of the tree, or away from her mother they unfortunately pulled her legs and for several days she was unable to even move.  With walking and climbing therapy she is doing really well!!!


Meet River Otter Emma, who came to us as a tiny baby from the Sarapiqui River.  She was involved in an incident of children on vacation swimming in the river who decided to throw rocks and separate her from her family.  Very sad.  Fortunately another lady who came to the river with her children realized what was happening, scolded the children and tried to get the baby otter to go back into the river and she would not swim away.  So the lady stuck Emma in her purse and took her to the wildlife official who then drove over the mountains in the pouring down rain on a Saturday night to deliver her to our care.  After a rocky start she is thriving!



Meet Gigi  Great Grison, our first weasel!!  She is very similar to Emma, webbed feet, enjoys playing like crazy with Emma (separated, but they can interact).  She came into the program because her mother was poisoned.  She was very ill, and has since then gained lots of weight and is growing into a lovely weasel.  Gigi was featured on TV as an ambassador to other grisons, we did some education and asked people to please protect them and not poison them just because they are different and people are not familiar with them.

Meet Armandillo!!  He is a baby 9 banded armadillo that was saved from a severe dog attack.  The first time I have raised an armadillo and I am learning all kinds of interesting facts about them!!  His shell is still not hard, and is drinking a great formula that we make up daily for him…so cute!


Little Armandito the Armadillo grew up!  was hunting bugs in the dirt on his own, so we released him right here on the property.  Although I have not seen him, I have found holes in the ground from an armadillo scouting for food.



Meet Tabu!
The name means forbidden and sacred, which he is,
Tabu is an Oncilla one of the most endangered cats in Costa Rica and the smallest of the wild cats.  He came in from Cartago over the holidays, he showed up in peoples back yards looking for food.
It is a long story, but he came here and 4 different wildlife folks have been here to evaluate him and people that have worked with feral cats, and everyone basically thinks the same thing…he is used to people because at an early stage in his life he was probably someones pet.  Poached out of the forest as a kitten, then as he is getting larger he is more scary and can be dangerous, and they probably let him go.
I really wanted to release him, but because he is so endangered and looks to humans for food, it was decided that he should stay here.  He is about the same size as a house cat.  We have been very fortunate and two of our guests gave very nice donations and we are building him a huge enclosure!
Meet Max!
Max came in from a horrible living situation, he was confiscated out of a terrible place where he was chained up living inside of an old washing machine barrel.  He is having some neurological muscle trouble from being on such a tight chain, but after a few months recovering he is now in the same enclosure with Jou Jou, our resident kinkajou and they are so in love it is just precious to see.  Take a look at youtube video and on facebook, Toucan Rescue Ranch to see them playing together!
We released Coco our  rescued Squirrel and have not seen her at all, hopefully she will come back to visit someday to let us know she survived.

Make a Donation

Toucan Rescue Ranch is a 501(c)3 charitable organization and a Costa Rican Foundation. We do not receive any government funding. EIN: 80-0516453

Recent Tweets

Contact Us

Phone: +506 2268 4041

Additional Phone: US 011 506 2268 4041

E-mail: info@toucanrescueranch.org